DAVEH:   Since I posted that, I rather regret my haste in doing so.  Since then, I've been browsing a bit and should have noticed the next verse.......

[27] So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

.......the own is italicized, indicating it has been added for clarification.  Therefore your original quote.......in his image.......may accurately reflect the message.

    I understand your beliefs regarding the absence of a female creator.  From my LDS perspective though, it is not a possibility most LDS folks would deny.

Taylor wrote:
Do any of the translations use that phrase, Bill?

As to your question, DaveH, good point: not that I know of.   As for the rest of your post, I do not believe in any female God(desse)s, creators or not. I do believe, however, that the plural "our" can only strengthen my case.

God's blessings to ya, dude.

Bill

in his image

DAVEH:  Do any of the translations use that phrase, Bill?

    Here's something to consider.  The KJV phrase is.......

in our image

.......which is plural.  I realize you inferred the Triune nature of the Godhead the Father with the Son and the Son with the Father, in and through the Holy Spirit, when defining God in your below comments.  However, IF deity does indeed exhibit gender, is it not possible the our refers to one of the creators who might be of the feminine gender?

Taylor wrote:
Dean insists  >  To have a masculine quality is to be a male.

 When we read that God created humans both male and female in his image, this is not a reference to God's gender; it speaks instead to his nature as a relational being, a being-in-communion: the Father with the Son and the Son with the Father, in and through the Holy Spirit. That being so, there is no "image of God" in humanity apart from relationship: the image of God is persons in relationship with others persons and God himself. It is that which reflects his glory.

Bill

--
Dave Hansen