Lance finds himself compelled to jump in, David. What indeed is the point of this hypothetical construct at the conclusion of your post? It is totally meaningless. Whitcomb would not, I say again not, be taken seriously as a theologian any more than Tim LaHaye would.

From: "David Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <TruthTalk@mail.innglory.org>
Sent: March 18, 2006 11:44
Subject: [TruthTalk] Is the day in Genesis literal or figurative?

John, I have a couple questions for you.

1. Have you ever read John Whitcomb's theological treatment concerning the
length of the day in Genesis 1?  I have read his perspective and even
discussed this personally with him before, but he comes from a theology
background and I come from a science background, so I don't know how well he
is accepted as a "theologian."  His arguments for why the day is not
figurative made a lot of sense to me.

2.  Is there any THEOLOGICAL or TEXTUAL reason for you treating the day
figuratively?  In other words, I don't have a problem with someone saying
that perhaps we should take the meaning figuratively, but I wonder if there is any reason other than reconciliing with the assertions of science that a
theologian or Bible scholar would interpret the word day in Genesis 1 as
figurative.  If we only had the Bible and the Holy Spirit guiding us, what
would be the reasons to view the day figuratively in Genesis 1?

David Miller