On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 07:20:45 -0800 Dave Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
What is a physical impossibility for God?

DAVEH:  Did you ever read the SCREWTAPE LETTERS, Judy?

jt: I started to but lost interest. I prefer to spend time on studying the real thing rather than someone else's
opinion about the subject.

At one point, Screwtape (the devil) tells Wormwood that humans are too quick to attribute their all their ills to him, effectively suggesting that sometime humans give credit to where credit isn't due.

jt: Well the devil isn't known for telling the truth DH; Jesus called him the father of lies. He is the one who comes
to steal, to kill, and to destroy.  Jesus was sent to heal all who are oppressed of the devil. I don't believe Lewis
understood the realm of darkness all that well, and in fact he played with it in his writings.

    I think the same can be said of God.  Sometimes we assume he does things he really doesn't.  In this case, by suggesting God can do the impossible might just be painting God into a corner from which he would prefer not to be.

jt: What is too difficult for the Creator of everything that is DH?

 You asked the question.....What is a physical impossibility for God?.......

.and the obvious answer is that which you have undoubtedly heard before.....Can God create a rock to heavy for him to lift?   Would you agree that doing so is a physical impossibility for God, Judy?

No, I would say nothing but nothing is impossible with God other than evil which is an affront to His Holy nature.

    I prefer to believe God operates within the laws of his creation.  Those laws define him and all his creation, and I do not think God could/would break those laws, but is capable of using them in ways of which we are unaware in order to perform miracles that confound his Adversary.

You would be wrong then DH because Jesus as God's Son walking about in a flesh body defied the laws of
creation many times. The creation as it stands presently is under the curse of death. Jesus is the Lord of Life
The resurrection itself defied the laws of nature.  So if you believe what is written you will have to change your
mind DH.

Judy Taylor wrote:
Just this morning I read this interaction between DaveH and KevinD   (I think) ...

KD: That is explained by the fire and brimstone imagery that is in reality endless torment.
a fire which cannot be consumed, even an unquenchable fire

DAVEH:   More imagery that is physically an impossibility.  Fire can be extinguished, whereas
mental torment can go on forever.

So tell me - What is a physical impossibility for God? The same God who delivered what he had
promised to Abraham and Sarah when they were 90 and 100yrs old respectively. A God who was
able to roll back the Red Sea until his people crossed and afterward kept them in the desert for 40yrs
feeding them with manna from heaven and keeping their clothes from wearing out and their feet from
swelling.  The same God who stopped the sun for 24 hours and caused an axe head to float on water
The God who energized His prophet causing him to run for 25 miles in front of Jezebels' chariot and
had the ravens feed him while he rested and regrouped in a cave.

Tell me - what would be too difficult for a God like this and how can the feeble efforts of man explain
Him?