I had a similiar experience last year, but it didn't work with any
regularity. I'm using postfix and outgoing mail, as expected can be sent
anywhere, but sometimes (and I haven't found any pattern to when it will
work) I can, for example, send something to yahoo mail account and reply
and actually successfully recieve the reply on my local machine.

-- Brandon