The Active Directory project is scheduled to begin phasing into production during the fall 2003 semester. The complete 100% migration to AD will take considerably longer.

We were trying to accelerate the AD time table and get some functions up before fall semester but the recent rash of computer viruses prevented us from accomplishing that early objective.

Viruses have calmed down and the AD and Exchange projects are again under way. The AD DNS servers are up and running in test mode. Exchange 2000 is also up in test mode; however we're probably going to upgrade Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003 before making it available for general Faculty / Staff use. We're working on the Exchange upgrade now.

2003 Active Directory does provide better services than the current system. I wasn't aware ITS had promised Active Directory would cure "all DNS problems", but I am hopeful the Active Directory DNS will address some of the issues with the current DNS system. I'd also like to see WINS go away.

Jim M