I just got my MythTV box setup.  I have an Avermedia PVR card, but
from what I've read, the Haupauge PVR-250 and PVR-350 are the
preferred cards to have.  There is a howto out there for RH9.0 with
mythtv that is excellent, I don't have the link handy right now
though.

You will definitely need more hard disk space.  You should be able to
pick up a 120GB drive for < $100