On Wed, 2002-05-29 at 09:48, Vincent Massol wrote:
> I have one big project divided into several smaller subprojects (about
> 15-20).
>
> Each of these subprojects will use Maven for their build. They also
> depend upon each other in term of jars.
>
> Let's imagine that I am working on version 0.23dev now. This version
> will be located in lots of places :
>
> In each <subprojectname>/project.xml, you'll have :
>
> <project>
> [...]
>   <currentVersion>0.23dev</currentVersion>
> [...]
>     <dependency>
>       <name>internaljar1</name>
>       <version>0.23dev</version>
>     </dependency>
>     <dependency>
>       <name>internaljar2</name>
>       <version>0.23dev</version>
>     </dependency>
>     <dependency>
>       <name>internaljar3</name>
>       <version>0.23dev</version>
>     </dependency>
> [...]
>
> Repeat this 15-20 times.
>
> Now when we deliver 0.23 and move to 0.24dev, we'll need to change 15-20
> * (1-8) = 15-160 locations ...
>
> One solution would be to use "dev" as the version but that wouldn't help
> because obviously when we deliver we don't want a jar named dev in the
> main distributable, so we'll have to change all the names.
>
> Any idea ?
>
> I have one idea :
>
> 1/ James' patch for project.xml inheritance. This means that
> <currentVersion> can be shared easily
>
> and
>
> 2/ Ability to put ${maven.currentVersion} in :
>
>     <dependency>
>       <name>internaljar2</name>
>       <version>${maven.currentVersion}</version>
>     </dependency>
>
> or a special <currentVersion> tag or a default that says to use
> currentVersion when no <version> tag exist or ... ?

Once we switch over to using betwixt both of these things will be
possible: expressing inheritance relationships in the XML form of the
POM and some form of interpolation.

I think both are great ideas, I took a swing at the inheritance but gave
up after realizing betwixt is a better solution and I will do it with
betwixt when it's fully seated in Maven.

> Thanks
> -Vincent
>

> --
jvz.