On 11/6/05, Matthew Bevan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Have you tried VLC by any chance? It may not work with the codec that
> > I've used for this incarnation of the video. I'm not sure, but VLC
> > plays an awful lot of files.
>
> VLC in their features list does not mention QuickTime, so I will assume
> it uses the same technology that mplayer does - that is, it utilizes
> emulation of Windows codecs under foreign systems.  Again, that isn't
> going to cut it for my loverly 64-bit system.

Actually, VLC does support QuickTime (the "MOV" container format).

> Experimenting with mplayer-bin under Gentoo it seems to work, but
> suffers from interesting problems due to linking against odd library
> versions.  (For example, mine is unable to deal with spaces in names,
> no matter how quoted or escaped I make it. ;)

I just tried the 20 Minute Wiki with VLC, and it doesn't work. I'm not
surprised that the "Apple Animation" codec is not supported. However,
if I do future screencasts in QuickTime format with DivX encoding for
the video and AAC for the audio, all should be well. Anywhere VLC
runs, the video should run.

Kevin
--
Kevin Dangoor