Lee McFadden wrote:
> pkg_resources.VersionConflict: (TurboGears 0.9a0dev-r223 (c:\svn\turbogears),
> Re
> quirement.parse('TurboGears>=0.9a0'))
>
> --/Traceback--
>
> It looks like setuptools isn't recognising the fact that 0.9a0dev-r223
> > 0.9a0.

That's because 'dev' is a pre-release tag, not a post-release tag.
0.9a0dev means "the 'dev' pre-release of 0.9a0".  Thus, if you want to
include all dev releases in your requirement, you need to say
"TurboGears>=0.9a0dev"

> I remember something along these lines occuring before on
> this mailinglist, but I can't pin down the thread.

I've updated the in-development setuptools manual at:

http://svn.python.org/projects/sandbox/trunk/setuptools/setuptools.txt

to include a new section called "Specifying Your Project's Version"
(which you can search for in that file) which gives a detailed
explanation of the pre-release and post-release tags that setuptools
understands, along with its interpretation of the numeric parts of a
version number.  It even tells you how to test your version numbering
scheme by typing simple expressions at the Python prompt.  Hopefully,
this will help the situation.  There's also a section I added a week or
two ago about 'Managing "Continuous Releases" Using Subversion', that
contains a lot of tips about setting things up to depend on the right
versions between in-development packages.

Both of these new documentation sections were written to help clear up
questions or problems that were surfaced by Kevin or Ian in working
with each others' subversion stuff; hopefully the new docs (and new
features in some cases) will help get the subversion-based development
process more stable.  (By the way, a quick thanks to everyone who
helped provide the feedback needed to guide the design of those docs
and features.)