Krys Wilken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> What makes a slug field interesting is the validation/auto text processing.

I didn't get why you want to validate this.

> Hmm... Now that I am thinking of it, a slug could be viewed simply as a
> regexp text processing of another given field.  As such, a generic
> function could slugify any given text. (Perhaps chopping it off after a
> certain upper limit.)

How about an MD5 or SHA1 or some other hash from any one or two fields (one
can be a date, for example)?

> That function is something that TG could provide and it would be generic
> enough to be applied to any StringCol field in any model.

Just StringCols?  Why not UnicodeCol, IntCol, etc.?

> Anyway, I'm just typing as I'm thinking.  I don't have the time to
> implement this idea, so I am throwing it out there for anyone to run with.

myinstance.mySlug = md5.md5(myinstance.myCol).hexdigest()  ?

>>> import md5
>>> slug = md5.md5('this is a test').hexdigest()
>>> slug
'54b0c58c7ce9f2a8b551351102ee0938'
>>> slug = md5.md5('1').hexdigest()
>>> slug
'c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b'
>>> slug = md5.md5('áéíóúçã').hexdigest()
>>> slug
'a88a39ed784a18cccc9d87fd0e7f48d9'
>>> import datetime
>>> slug = md5.md5(str(datetime.datetime.now())).hexdigest()
>>> slug
'684a0195179447705f07fc205f32f74c'

Be seeing you,
--