> Consider koorb's logo:
> http://koorb.co.uk/turbogears/variations.html
>
> and the "under the hood" in use today (look on the far right):
> http://www.diggdot.us/

Personally I think the issue is not so much fun vs serious, but
armature vs professional.   And even that isn't quite what I want to
say, because I think a lot of time armature means better rather than
worse -- because armatures actually care about what they are doing ;)
  I just think the Under the Hood logo looks has more classical design
elements, and looks more solid/static/focused, while Korb's logo seems
very active, and seems to be going in a couple of different directions
at once.  I think Korb's logo might benefit from a font with less
diagonals, which might make it seem more stable and less frenetic.

We have some designers where I work, and I will take them out to lunch
and get their input on the various logo's out there, and see if there
is anything they can add to the discussion.