MAC addresses don't leave the LAN.

You have two exactly three options:
1. Stick all of the state in the URL (or a session ID).
2. Keep all of your state (or a session id) in forms and make sure
that every link is a form submit (using GET instead of POST would be
an "ugly" variant of 1).
3. Stick state or a session id in a cookie.

Pick one. There aren't any other options.

-bob