I was chatting with one of the Maven guys at ApacheCon and was told
that although it is early days they have done some C++ projects.
Although it might be atypical for a C++ project, it may make the
integration with the Java project easier (e.g. when we want to host
C++ components in Java or Java one in C++).

It might be worth exploring that approach. If it doesn't play out my
(uninformed) opinion is that autoconf/automake is the most used
mechanism.

--
Jeremy