On Mar 6, 2006, at 4:14 AM, ant elder wrote:

Now that we have the WS binding going using Axis2 can we come up with a list of what improvements we need to make to it in the nearish future. If we can come up with a list of task, prioritize it, see who volunteers for what,
then we'll know  what we can do and how long it will take before the
bindings ready for another point-in-time stable build.

1) Documentation. At very least something simple explaining how components use externalServices to call remote services and how to use entryPoints
expose components as Web service endpoints.

2) Fix bugs. There's a few JIRA's already, sure we can find some more if we
play around using the axis binding.

3) Clean up the code and flesh out the tests. (should the project be renamed from binding.axis to binding.ws? ...or should container.js be renamed to
container.rhino?)
My own preference would be something with "Axis" in it since there will be other ws binding implementations. So, I guess the same goes for container.js --> container.rhino

4) Correctly configure the AxisService in ExternalWebServiceClient. As the TODO in the code says and several people have already commented, on this should not use the axis.xml but be configured programatically. The requires
moving up from Axis2 0.94.

I think we should also remove the dependency on getAggregate and do something similar to what Jeremy recommended. I'm happy to help out if there are no takers (but have plenty of other things to work on if someone is interested)

5) Java2WSDL tooling using the Axis2 tools. Also requires moving up from
Axis2 0.94.

6) Move up to a later release from Axis2 0.94 to get several fixes and to
support the last two items.

7) Support efficient (de)serilization and streaming between
components/services. Ideally i'd like to be able to wire up a WS entryPoint
to an externalService or e4x component and have the SOAP body pulled
directly from the  incoming StaX stream.

8) Policy. Once (4) and (5) are done it should be possible to use a WSDL
with policy on an externalService and have things like WS-Security
automatically configured by Axis2, so investigate this and see what can be
done on the entryPoint.

9) look at using alternative WS impls to Axis2? XFIRE's just had a
1.0release, or JAX-WS? Maybe not a high priority but i'm sure we could
learn
things from trying this.

Comments? What else can people think off?