Paul Fremantle wrote:
> Jim
>
> Its a great question. I think the answer is that they stick to
> published specs, which is what I was expecting Tuscany to do given the
> closed nature of the spec group. I'll ask around to find out.

Geronimo has private lists for stuff under NDA and has had various
people on different expert groups (e.g. a couple of us were on JSR-220).
In general, there are a lot of Apache projects that work with the JCP
and deal with the closed nature of JSRs - Tomcat, Portal, Axis come to mind.

Apache projects also provide functions over and above published
specifications, features that are relevant to the users and developers
of the project. Sometimes those innovations get picked up and included
by specification bodies - open source shaping the future. We just had an
example of this with Tuscany where thoughts on a recursive structure
(which have been in mind since before we came to Apache) contributed to
a significant change in the specification.

Remember too that the SCA specifications are still preliminary - they
could be compared to Community or Early Draft review stages in the JCP.
The expectation should be that they will change - I actually expected
changes would be happening faster than they are.

As a project, we can continue to implement a now-obsolete draft from
last year, or we can innovate, influence and track the specs to the
greatest extent that we can.

I'm participating here because I want to build some software that makes
it easier to build and run applications in the new, complex,
service-enabled world; I think the rest of the community has similar
motives. The SCA spec contains a good codification of some of the
challenges in this space and proposes solutions for them through its
programming and assembly models. In the end though it's code that talks
and whether we are successful will depend on what we as a community
build rather than what the spec says.

--
Jeremy