At the risk of repeating myself, my major concern is with avoiding unnecessary copying of the data. So, if you feel the need to change the APIs as a one-off, well, I can live with that - at this stage of development I don't expect you to support old APIs for ever. But I really don't want to have to allocate memory for a temporary copy of the data in order to pass it into the PHP engine.

Working within the PHP engine, we're fairly constrained as to how we manipulate strings - if you're interested to see how the PHP SDO implementation uses the C++ APIs, take a peek at http://cvs.php.net/pecl/sdo . Most of the internal interfaces to the PHP engine require either a null-terminated char* or a non-terminated char* and a length.

--
Caroline