Thanks, that was helpful. I've fixed up the serialization so that it pulls
the URI from the type of the data object we're serializing, and it's now
getting through OK. The generated schema looks much more appealing:
<xsd:schema xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
   xmlns:sdo="commonj.sdo" xmlns:sdoxml="commonj.sdo/xml"
   xmlns:tns="http://AnnotationTest"; targetNamespace="http://AnnotationTest
">
<xsd:element name="testTriggerEvent" type="testTriggerEvent"/>
<xsd:complexType name="testTriggerEvent"/>
</xsd:schema>

I think this may be a regression, perhaps introduced with the string
changes, because the php code hasn't changed for a while, and it has always
passed in a NULL and the Right Thing used to happen.

I hadn't considered that an XMLDocument might validly have no root data
object, but I've put in a check for this in unserialize, and probably need
one in some other places too.