On 17/11/06, Geoffrey Winn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

As far as I know,  the development of SDO to date has given zero
consideration to running in a multithreaded environment. I am a little
surprised that they were only able to identify one thread safety issue.
The
first one that occurs to me is - what happens if two or more threads are
using the same data factory and one thread attempts to modify a data
object
that the other is deleting? Or - one thread adds a property to a type
while
the other is creating a data object of that type. Etc.

Most likely your customer would dismiss these scenarios with something
like
"oh, we will never do that", however, in general, SDO is not thread safe,
and it will take a good deal of effort to make it so.

I'm not aware of any major objection to using the thread safe libraries,
however I am a little concerned that doing so may give the impression that
SDO is thread safe when it absolutely isn't.

I'm not too surprised to get that response. But remember, I didn't ask
whether Tuscany SDO C++ would be thread-safe in some unknown and general
scenario.  We're talking about it running within the context of the PHP
engine, where application programmers would not get the opportunity to share
data between threads. The risk is that threads might interact accidentally
because of static data in the library. So I think the scan does have some
validity.

--
Caroline