On 15/01/07, Jeremy Boynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Jan 15, 2007, at 6:44 AM, Pete Robbins wrote:

> As part of this are you considering only multiple Java runtimes or
> can this
> proposal embrace a C++/Python/Ruby component implementation
> deployed on the
> C++ runtime?

This is really about runtime-to-runtime cooperation - which
implementation types a runtime can support would be something that
was input to the decision making process (about what to run where).
So, for example, a Ruby component could be allocated any C++ or Java
runtime that supported that implementation type.

I think we should use standard protocols for this communication, such
as Bonjour, UPNP, JXTA etc. so that they can easily be supported by
runtimes implemented in different languages. I.e we don't want a
protocol that relies on synchronizing native Java/C++/... objects.
Different domains may prefer different protocols (for networking
reasons) so we want this to be plugable.

Having said that, I wasn't planning on working on a non-Java version
but if you see something that would be hard/impossible to implement
in the C++ runtime please shout :-)

--
Jeremy

Hey! everything is hard/impossible to implement in C++ ;-)

I need to do some homework on this first but it's certainly an area I'm
interested in.

Cheers,

--
Pete