From: Jim Marino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org
Subject: Java Kernel Release
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:45:38 -0800

There has been quite a bit of activity over the last month-and-a-half enhancing the Kernel. Based on this work, I'd like to cut a release of Kernel, the Standalone Runtime, the Webap Runtime, and the Maven iTest Plugin as a stepping stone to having a 1. release. I was thinking we would call this release "1.0 alpha".

I see this "alpha" as evolving into a series of iterative releases over the next month where we introduce some of the more "compelling" features we have been discussing related to service networks, federation, and deployment. The primary goals of the first alpha release would be centered on enhancements to the programming model that have been introduced with the recent Kernel changes. Specifically, the alpha would provide an enhanced version of Kernel that our users can experiment with, extend and provide us feedback on. This will assist us in validating he programming model supported by Kernel.

The key features of the alpha release would be:

1. SCA 1.0 APIs
-Support for many of the new SCA 1.0 Java APIs (ComponentContext, Conversational annotations)

2. An enhanced standalone runtime with JMX support
3. An enhanced and SCA 1.0-based model for integration testing (elimination of SCATestCase, which is not spec-compliant
4. Simplified wiring
5. Simplified extension model
6. Architecture for support of federated deployment
7. Support for web applications using SCA 1.0 concepts

I'd like to follow the alpha with additional releases that introduce additional support for federation, deployment, and the SCA 1.0 APIs. To stage this, perhpaps we the following in the next release after the alpha:

- Contribution service
- Refactor of Databinding (mentioned in a separate thread)
- Introduction of master/slave nodes and federated wiring
- More complete support for conversational APIs, including ServiceReference

In terms of work items, I think we need the following (besides a stable kernel :-) ):

1. Standalone runtime operational and able to deploy application and extension SCDLS 2. At least two samples. I propose the Calculator Sample (Standalone and Web app) and the Loan Application Sample

Feel free to suggest additional features. As a general principle, I'd like to get a release out sooner rather than later with "big" features introduced in the consecutive releases mentioned previously. One thing I'd like to see if we can fit in but may have to cut is the new PhysicalComponent builders. That may be something we stage later.

Hopefully, we can cut the release this week.

Thoughts?

Jim