From: Simon Laws [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2007 11:31 AM
To: tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org
Subject: Re: ServerSide Presentation and Demo

On 3/22/07, Venkata Krishnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> Thanks for sharing this information - its really useful.
>
> - Venkat
>
> On 3/22/07, Jim Marino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > We just finished the ServerSide demo and I figured I send a mail to
> > the list outlining how it went...
> >
> > We had the slot following the opening keynote and were up against
> > Rod
> > (Spring) and Patrick (OpenJPA) as the other  two talks. I was
> > surprised to find that the ballroom was pretty full. I gave the talk

> > and the demo showing end-to-end federated deployment and reaction
> > seemed very positive.  Meeraj gets the "hero" award for staying up
> > to an obscene hour in the morning to implement a JMS-based discovery

> > service as we encountered last-minute hiccups with JXTA.
> >
> > My observations are:
> >
> > - After speaking with people after the presentation, feedback on the

> > value of SCA was consistent. Specifically, they thought the
> > programming model was nice but not a differentiator. What people got

> > excited about was being able to dynamically provision services to
> > remote nodes and have a representation of their service network.  In

> > this respect, I think the demo worked well. Two people said they
> > need what the demo showed for projects they currently have underway.
> >
> > - People asked how SCA is different than Spring.  They reacted
> > positively when I said "federation" and "distributed wiring".
> > Related to this, people get dependency injection (i.e. it's old-hat)

> > and just seem to assume that is the way local components obtain
references.

> > - People seemed to react positively when I compared SCA to Microsoft

> > WCF
> >
> > - People liked the idea of heterogeneous service networks and
> > support for components written in different languages, particularly
C++.

> > - People didn't ask about web services. People were nodding their
> > heads (in agreement) when I talked about having the runtime select
> > alternative bindings such as AMQP and JMS.
> >
> > - People want modularity and choice. Two areas they wanted choice in

> > was databinding and persistence. They liked the fact that we are not

> > locked into one databinding solution and that we have JPA
> > integration. (as an aside, they also liked that SDO can be used
> > without SCA). Spring integration was also popular.
> >
> > - People also liked the idea of a 2MB kernel download. One person
> > mentioned they only want to download what they intend to use and not

> > a lot of extra "clutter".
> >
> > - People wanted to know how SCA is different than an ESB. I
> > basically described it using the switch vs. router metaphor and how
> > a component implementation type can be a proxy for an ESB. Related
> > to this and point-to-point wires, people thought wire optimization
> > by the Controller was cool.
> >
> > - People seemed to be more interested in running Tuscany as a
> > standalone edge server or embedded in an OSGi container. I didn't
> > get any questions about running Tuscany in a Servlet container or
> > J2EE application server. This seems to be consistent with there
> > being a number of talks on server-side OSGi.
> >
> > My big takeway is that we need to make the demo a reality.
> >
> > Jim

Jim,

Nice one. Thanks for the summary. Did the conference record the talk?
Would be good to see it. Noting your comment and recent mails about the
last minute changes to get JMS working in short order, is everything
checked in that's needed to run the demo? Looking back I see several
notes on build instructions and it would be pretty cool to give it a
spin.

Can I ask a question about support for components written in different
languages? Did people specifically say they were interested in C++? Did
they mention other languages (and, if so, which ones)?

Presumably the sweet spot is the ability to show components implemented
in various languages all acting as part of a single SCA Domain. How big
a deal do you think this ability to be able to draw a "picture" of you
heterogeneous service network (in SCDL) vs some of the other things you
mention like "standalone edge server" or "selectable bindings". I'm
asking this question because, as you know, I like the idea and from your
notes it seems the audience likes the idea but I'm interested to know
how much interest there was for this vs other things.

I imagine, from reading your closing comments, you have a whole stack of
ideas now in your head about what needs doing next. This would seem like
a great opportunity for us all to look at what technical challenges lie
ahead and to have a discussion about how, as a community, we step up to
meeting some of them. How do we do this? Do we start some threads on
individual items? A thread on the grand plan and then split onto areas
of peoples interest. Having this summary is great because is really
pushes on what we really need to focus on, i.e. making something that is
useful to our
(potential) users. We need to convert it into technical opportunities
that get the creative juices flowing.
Regards

Simon

This message has been checked for all email viruses by MessageLabs.

    You can find us at www.voca.com

This communication is confidential and intended for
the exclusive use of the addressee only. You should
not disclose its contents to any other person.
If you are not the intended recipient please notify
the sender named above immediately.

Registered in England, No 1023742,
Registered Office: Voca Limited
Drake House, Three Rivers Court,
Homestead Road, Rickmansworth,
Hertfordshire, WD3 1FX. United Kingdom

VAT No. 226 6112 87

This message has been checked for all email viruses by MessageLabs.