Folks,

I agree with the direction that this discussion is taking.

It seems right to add the OSGi metatdata to the 3rd party JARs.

Yours,  Mike.

Graham Charters wrote:
FWIW, I agree with Sebastien and Rajini.  I don't believe it's a
coincidence that both SpringSource and ServiceMix went the route of
adding manifests to the thirdparty jars.  It keeps things simple and
gives a better experience from an OSGi perspective.  If we're serious
about supporting OSGi we should try to do the right thing by the
technology.

Whilst not necessarily an argument against virtual bundles, I also
agree that we should have properly authored dependencies.  This view
is supported by the discussion Rajini is having in Jira 2343.  I know
for a fact that SpringSource work very hard to ensure the version
ranges on their dependencies are sensible (e.g. match the rules
governing version increments for each project).

I don't believe we can completely do away with virtual bundles in the
short term, but we should only use them where necessary (e.g for
signed jars and jars which require code extensions to function in
OSGi).

Regards, Graham.