Thanks Mike for putting things in perspective. It always helps to think of
these topics in terms of problem that we are trying to solve and who the
audience is before we get into the details of how to solve it. Your idea of
creating wiki pages for each of these topics will help clarify things
further and keep the discussion focused.

I created wiki pages based on my understanding of this thread for items a
and c.   It is a starting point and needs to be reviewed and fixed.

a)       Basic modules, as we have today. ß created under  [1]

b)      A variety of functional components, that represent sets of coherent
functions. ß created under  [2]

c)       A small number of large packages aimed at supporting end users in a
series of environments and with a specific set of functionality ß created
under [3]

d)      Simple ways of starting Tuscany functionality - based on using the
packages in c) [4]

I also created wiki pages for items b and d, however I cannot articulate
what problem we are trying to solve with b and d.  Can you please expand on
these two? What is the problem? Who is the audience?

This email thread is 32 emails deep on gmail. It is extremely difficult to
read and follow. Once there is agreement on the categories, can we start a
separate thread per category and continue updating the wiki pages as the
discussions solidify? This is like using the wiki pages as a white board for
keeping discussions focused. I have created these pages under [5]
and I hope that others find this approach useful.

[1]
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Basic+Modules+Runtime+Bundles
[2]
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/functional+components+at+runtime