David,

 to be able to get a ChangeSummary from a DataObject it must either
a) be in a data graph that is contained in an instance of DataGraph
b) be of a Type which has a property of type sdo:ChangeSummaryType
c) be contained, either directly or indirectly by a DataObject which has a
property of type sdo:ChangeSummaryType

Does your scenario meet any one of these criteria?
--
Kelvin.