The SDO 2.1 spec has left the way open for implementations to provide
alternative, "scheme" based means of handling path expressions in SDO calls
that operate on paths paths.

From the spec perspective,  each path supplied to such a call belongs to a
scheme,  the default scheme being "sdo".  To explicitly state the scheme you
prefix the path with "<scheme>:", so dataObject.get("foo") is equivalant to
dataObject.get("sdo:foo");.  Note that the default prefix is not "xpath";
The SDO spec talks of its default path syntax in terms of "an augmented
subset of XPath". With the primary use of this path being the getting and
setting of values, it is important that any path resolves to zero or one
value only.

From the Tuscany perspective we only support the default scheme currently.
I don't have a handle on the fine detail of the XPath 2.0 spec,  but I can
foresee issues that would probably preclude full XPath 2.0 support via the
scheme extensibility feature. It has been suggested in the spec group that
new methods are added to the XSDHelper interface to handle full XPath
support.  This discussion is part of the ongoing SDO 3 spec effort.

Kelvin.