I did succeed in getting mvn to build.

But at runtime I encountered

Deployment#C:\OpenSource\tuscany\tuscany-sca-1.0.1-incubating\samples\he
lloworld-bpel\target\classesDEPLOY: Unexpected exception: DbError

::message:: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<message><TestPart><hello
xmlns="http://tuscany.apache.org/implementation/bpel/example/helloworld.
wsdl"/></TestPart></message>

Stopping BPELHelloWorldComponent
org.apache.tuscany.sca.core.assembly.RuntimeComponentImpl

Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 15.763
sec <<< FAILURE!

testInvoke(helloworld.BPELHelloWorldTestCase)  Time elapsed: 15.713 sec
<<< ERROR!

<0.9.7-incubating nonfatal general error>
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.PersistenceException:

 There were errors initializing your configuration:
org.apache.openjpa.lib.util.ParseException:

   Instantiation of plugin "QueryCompilationCache" with value "true"
caused an error "java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:

                   java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.openjpa.util.CacheMap".

                           The alias or class name may have been
misspelled (as it closely matches the valid plugin alias "true"),

                                           or the class may not be
available in the class path.  Valid aliases for this plugin are: [all,
false, true]

        at
org.apache.openjpa.lib.conf.Configurations.getCreateException(Configurat
ions.java:341)

        at
org.apache.openjpa.lib.conf.Configurations.newInstance(Configurations.ja
va:198)

        at
org.apache.openjpa.lib.conf.ObjectValue.newInstance(ObjectValue.java:103
)

        at
org.apache.openjpa.conf.QueryCompilationCacheValue.newInstance(QueryComp
ilationCacheValue.java:57)

        at
org.apache.openjpa.lib.conf.PluginValue.instantiate(PluginValue.java:101
)

        at
org.apache.openjpa.lib.conf.ObjectValue.instantiate(ObjectValue.java:79)

        at
org.apache.openjpa.conf.OpenJPAConfigurationImpl.getQueryCompilationCach
eInstance(OpenJPAConfigurationImpl.java:1402)

        at
a:39)

        at
Impl.java:25)

        at
org.apache.openjpa.lib.conf.ConfigurationImpl.instantiateAll(Configurati
onImpl.java:282)

etc.

Because you state --

> Using other surefire versions didn't work for me, and I was getting
> the same error as you mentioned. Note that you need to comment the
> skip element and enable the useSystemClassLoader element as above.
>
> Note that this issues seems all resolved in our trunk code and sca 1.1
> release candidates, so I'd recommend moving to the new release as soon
> as it gets out.
>
> Please let me know if this helps.

I will wait until the new release and then investigate the project
further.

Thanks very much for your time and energy.