On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 11:37, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
> Albert Cahalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in

> >> I've made it darker. Better? The old one was *too* dark to be
> >> usuable.
> >
> > For what?
>
> Stamp tinting, for instance.

First, look at the car in my other email.

There are two tinters. Perhaps you are using cartoon-like
stamps that tint with the crummy tinter. The crummy tinter
converts the image to greyscale, then maps white to the
tinting color and maps black to black -- with everything
else falling in between. There are two ways to fix this.

One choice is to eliminate the crummy tinter. This requires
that some of the stamps be reworked. The nice tinter, used
on the sedan for example, preserves all greyscale values from
black to white. The most saturated part of the input image
is mapped to the tinting color. Other parts of the input
image map to somewhere between the tinting color and gray.
The dragonfly stamp is greyscale, and thus would not change
at all when subjected to the nice tinter. To work, it would
need to have some color added.

Another choice is to change the crummy tinter. It would need
to map white to white, and black to black. Other values fall
along a curve (parabola? hyperbola? circle?) that passes
through black, white, and the tinting color. This would work
for the tint magic too, assuming the curve is calculated only
once on mouse-down. So, what curve should I use? What shade of
grey should map to the tinting color? (choices: median, mean,
mode, 127, 192, grayscale of tinting color...)

Attacking this problem from both sides (changing stamps, and
changing the crummy tinter) might be best. Does anyone want
to do the stamps? Search for *.dat files containing "vector".