On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 18:53, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 06:29:42PM -0500, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> > While you try to support this, the schools are busy upgrading.
>
> Heh, it's already been 2.5 years since I started Tux Paint, and many
> still have not.  It's a pretty dire situation in some places.

It cuts down on theft.

> > Nobody wants to be stuck with a dead OS. If a school is
> > extremely poor, they can always put Debian on their old Macs.
>
> Not always.  Depends on the Mac.  And no reason to make all of their
> computers incompatible with the software they had already purchased.

For this, there is the Mac-on-Linux project.

> > Another idea is to allow running all the code to completion,
> > just as is done now. In that case, pthreads can be used.
>
> I guess I need to brush up on threading. :^)

The font stuff is pretty simple. Stamps will be worse, but
not too complicated I expect. For fonts, I simply don't touch
any shared data except a volatile long. That may need some
work on Alpha boxes, which have very loose memory ordering
rules.