On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 19:08 +0100, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
> Albert Cahalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:
>
> > How about merging these into the *.txt files?
>
> I think it would only make things (extracting, merging and
> manually editing the files) more complicated and error-prone.
> Disk reads and space is cheap, especially now with the new
> threaded stamp-loading code.

The funny thing about disk reads is that bulk reads
are cheap, while tiny reads are costly. The disk might
go at 100 MB/s, but every seek will cost you 5 ms.

BTW, how does Tux Paint from CVS work for you?

Font scanning is now done in a separate process.
For filling in the tool option buttons and for the
selected item, both fonts and stamps are loaded on
demand by the main thread.

> If you really want to reduce disk reads, creating some sort of
> internal stamp description cache file, and only checking last
> modification times when loading stamps may be a better solution
> (but still unnecessary, IMHO).

I've thought of doing that. It has another huge gain:
stamp scaling need not be done if thumbnails are cached.