On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 01:22:34AM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> A fellow just wrote me with some nice praise for Tux Paint, and also some
> comments on its use under Windows XP:
>
>   The only other issue I have is that it is not very mutli-user friendly
>   due to its use of the "Program Files" folder for config and user
>   data files in Windows. My Windows XP setup is basic; my wife and
>   I use an administrative login and my children a more restricted login.
>   Having installed Tux Paint in my account and put a shortcut on the
>   childresn desktop I could not save files in the children's login.
>   To be fair this was easily solved with '--savedir "%HOMEPATH%\TuxPaint"
>   in the shortcut but I think that should have been automatic. It also
>   conceivable that user settings should be stored for each user, for
>   example print enabled for me but not the children.
>

> I'll make a note of this in the Wishlist at SourceForge.  In the meantime,
> John and others... any comments?

I will have a look at changing Tux Paint so that it uses the users
'X:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\Tux Paint' location
(from the registry) to store 'tuxpaint.cfg'.

As was suggested a while back, a users pictures should probably be
somewhere like 'My Documents\My Pictures\Tux Paint' so that they at
least have a chance of finding them!

A shared/global settings file would go where? The Tux Paint application
folder?

I've got an alternate installer that only installs for the current user,
but works correctly if they are 'restricted' - different default install
location, different registry entries.

If I added an option to install for all users (if run by a
non-restricted user) that would get us to the next release :-)

Then there's just the stamps/additional fonts problem. Shared between
users would be nice, but it would also need to work correctly if
installed by a restricted user (an already known problem).

Tux Paint Config would also need changing a bit so that, if required,
only non-restricted users can run it, and decide who's settings to
change? Ugh. Or, maybe everyone can run it but some options are
grayed-out unless you have permission. Or maybe there's a command-line
switch '--admin' that causes it to edit the global settings and let
file permissions take care of it.

I'll take another look at what we're doing on Unix systems. I obviously
need to give it more thought. Any ideas?

cheers,
John.