Albert Cahalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

>> Learning the relations between different geometric figures is
>> useful.
>
> I think it can be see best from similarity in the text.

And explicit mention is always useful.

>> AFAICS, it's part of grade 7 in the US.
>>
>> But surely the kids have heard the term «straight angle»
>> before? (If not, they can learn it from Tux Paint! :) )
>
> That's also 9th or 10th year and... it means 180 degrees!

Sorry. I mean 'right angle', of course! :)

>>> Old: "A rhombus has four equal sides."
>>> New: "A rhombus has four equal sides, and opposite sides are
>>> parallel."
>>>
>>> The first part is enough to define a rhombus. The second
>>> part requires geometry.
>>
>> No, the first part defines a quadrangle. The second part is
>> needed.
>
> four EQUAL sides
>
> That is a rhombus.

Yes, I see it now.

>> But the rhombus may as well be removed. It's just a rotated
>> square, and Tux Paint supports rotating.
>
> No. This was the major error that convinced me to touch
> that file in the first place. A rhombus with angles of
> 30 degrees and 60 degrees is not a rotated square.

Looks like I didn't try the tool. You can indeed change the
angles. But having a star would be more fun ... :)

Something else that has bothered me with the shape tools: They are
extremely difficult to use (for me!). If I want to draw a chimney
at the top of a roof, it takes several tries to get the correct
size *and* position (because the 'click' defined the centre and
not one of the corners, unlike other drawing programs).

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer