On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 21:10:29 +0400, HoverHell wrote
> > I do consider this a bug - there's no need to resolve this address at
> > all (at least for a xmpp client). Not to mention that
> > _xmpp-client._tcp.localhost isn't even a valid host/domain name ....
>
> there is a need and it is a valid name; see [UTF-8?]“SRV [UTF-8?]recordâ€
 for reference.

Yes, sorry, you're right - this is a valid entry for a SRV record.
But still: service discovery is optional. XMPP clients shouldn't stop
working when no server record is found. BTW, even if I'm online and
a real DNS server is available I'm pretty shure it won't find a
xmpp SRV record for localhost - but in this setup twisted.names does
work and my client connects to the server.
And why does the twisted.names code attempt to query a DNS server
on 127.0.0.1? Using 127.0.0.1/53 as a fallback seems like a really bad
idea ....

> (though, I really didn't expect it to work that way in /etc/hosts)

Me neither :-) That file is deinitely not meant for SRV records.

Cheers, RalfD

--
R. Mattes -
Hochschule fuer Musik Freiburg