Jason,
The answer depends on how your application is affected by a stale and
possibly incorrect list. If the accuracy of the list is not critical
and the application needs the API calls for other logic, you can cache
for longer. If the list needs to be roughly accurate you should cache
for a day.

This vague answer is attempting to suggest that this is a design
choice that is heavily based on the goals of your application.

Thanks,
Doug Williams
Twitter API Support
http://twitter.com/dougw