Hello Toby,

On 04/20/2010 10:57 AM, Toby Bryans wrote:
I'm running typo on a postgres database for a choir website
(http://amicichamberchoir.org.uk/ if you're interested) and I try to put
the name of the composers of each piece sung in each concert in the tags
of the entry. This is fine, until I hit 254 characters which I have
done, for example in the latest entry.

Well, that's an unexpected use of tags! :-)

This causes a problem because in the contents table the kewords column
is set to: character varying(255). Some questions:

1) Would it be possible to increase the size of this column so a larger
string can be put in that column in a future release?

Certainly.

2) Will it cause problems for future upgrades if I change the size of
this column now?

Probably not, but do make extra sure you make a backup of the database before upgrading.

3) There's got to be a better way of referencing tags to articles rather
than parsing a long string. Are there plans to improve this in the
future? I'm thinking in terms of having a table that consists of
contents_id, tag_id tuples. Am I wrong in thinking that that would be
better? I imagine it isn't an easy change though.

I just took a look, and in fact, both methods are used at the same time: the tags are stored in the keywords column, and then copied into a structure like the one you propose. I admit this is rather odd, although there is a sort-of-good technical reason why this is so: Other types of contents store their keywords _only_ in the keywords column.

Given that tags are already stored in a separate table, it shouldn't be too big of a change to lift the 255-character limit. I will file a bug in Typo's bug tracking system for this.

By the way, you can have tags with spaces in them by surrounding them with single or double quotes. That way, you don't need to use periods.

Regards,
--
Matijs