I've made a bit of progress on this with some off-list help by Albin Tonnerre.

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Dan Christensen <ope...@opello.org> wrote:
> Hello.  I'm attempting to use the AT91 SD/MMC patches with my
> AT91SAM9G45-EK-ES devkit to boot a Linux kernel off of an SD card.
>
> Starting with 2009.08, I've applied:
> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2009-August/059456.html
> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2009-September/060053.html
> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2009-September/060243.html

I am no longer applying the first patch in the list:
http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2009-August/059456.html
Which means I also do not need the change to cpu/arm926ejs/at91/cpu.c,
or CONFIG_GENERIC_MMC in my board config file.

But I ended up needing the following:
http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2009-August/059595.html

With those changes, things seem to be going a bit better.

So now, include/configs/at91sam9m10g45ek.h has the following added:
/* SD Card */
#define CONFIG_CMD_EXT2 1
#define CONFIG_CMD_MMC 1
#define CONFIG_MMC 1
#define CONFIG_ATMEL_MCI 1

'mmc init' yields:
mmc: clock 150000 too low; setting CLKDIV to 255
Manufacturer ID:       1B
OEM/Application ID:    534D
Product name:          SD
Product Revision:      1.0
Product Serial Number: 3325210410
Manufacturing Date:    08/03
SD Card detected (RCA 45928)
CSD data: 002f0032 f5954169 29dfb6ff fca70900
CSD structure version:   1.0
MMC System Spec version: 0
Card command classes:    5f5
Read block length:       512
Supports partial reads
Write block length:      512
Does not support partial writes
Supports group WP:      32
Card capacity:          1017643008 bytes
File format:            0/0
Write protection:
mmc: Using 3145728 cycles data timeout (DTOR=0x73)
.mmc1 is available

'ext2ls mmc 1' now fails, and I've added some debugging statements,
and the most fruitful of those seems to have been defining DEBUG in
fs/ext2/ext2fs.c:
U-Boot> ext2ls mmc 1
.## Valid DOS partition found ##
ext2fs_mount, len=1987075
pre-malloc
pre-superblock
.pre-magic
pre-ext2fs_read_inode
ext2fs read inode 2
ext2fs read 0 group descriptor (blkno 2 blkoff 0)
.raise: Signal # 8 caught
ext2fs read inode blkno 0 blkoff 0
raise: Signal # 8 caught
raise: Signal # 8 caught
ext2fs read inode blkno 5 blkoff 0

Without debugging all I saw were the 'raise: Signal # 8 caught' which
I'm not sure what means?  I found eabi_compat.c where it is printed
out, but never found what was raising the signal.

Thanks,
Dan