Thanks for everyones replies with this,

I have managed to get it installed, I just removed the c option from the
cpio command as suggested in the uv.load script.
I also had to make another change, because Ubuntu did not have the /ect/rc.d
directory, I had to run the following:-

#mkdir /etc/rc.d
# ln -s /etc/rc0.d /etc/rc.d/rc0.d
# ln -s /etc/rc2.d /etc/rc.d/rc2.d
# ln -s /etc/rc3.d /etc/rc.d/rc3.d
# ln -s /etc/rc4.d /etc/rc.d/rc4.d
# ln -s /etc/rc5.d /etc/rc.d/rc5.d
# ln -s /etc/rc6.d /etc/rc.d/rc6.d
# ln -s /etc/init.d /etc/rc.d/init.d

I have not really used it too much at this stage, however i can get into the
Universe admin menus etc...

Thanks
Trev.