Hello all

Could anyone please give me a tutorial about setting up internet
connection using GPRS/EDGE enabled mobile on openSuSE 11.1 (gnome) ?

I have downloaded openSuSE 11.1 gnome live CD and tried many ways to
connect to the internet using my SonyEricsson k550i. The network
manager applet on Ubuntu 8.10 or Linux Mint 6 was very handy and could
let me connect to the internet using the mobile right away from the
live CD, just had to specify GrameenPhone as the operator. But in
openSuSE 11.1, the network manager could not find any network operator
when I command it to 'SCAN' for networks. Moreover, it somehow deletes
all the data accounts from my mobile itself and set my mobile in
'FLIGHT MODE'.

Anyway, then [after rebooting] I tried to use YaST modem setup to
configure the mobile modem manually. But still no luck. No internet
connection. But the data accounts were intact and my phone was not set
to flight mode. Then I tried "wvdialconf" and edited "wvdial.conf"
thereafter. This time the computer connects to the mobile phone. But
if I ping any site, it says "cannot resolve hostname". After getting
this message, I edited the "ip-up.local" file as following a tutorial
like this:

cat > /etc/ppp/ip-up.local
#!/bin/sh
mv /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.bak
cp /etc/ppp/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
chmod 644 /etc/resolv.conf
<press Ctrl-D here>
chmod +x /etc/ppp/ip-up.local

But still no luck. Could anyone please help connect to the internet
from openSuSE 11.1? I'll prefer GUI solution [like "gnome-ppp" on
Hardy]. But command line solutions are welcome as well. Sorry for my
long mail.

Thank you in advance.

--
Hafiz Imtiaz