Actually it is possible to use any nameserver with Dynamic or Static
IP's. As far as I know, A nameserver is a seperate server, like a web
server, which stores the IP address associated with each domain name.
I personally use 208.67.222.222(OpenDNS, best performance) and
4.2.2.1(most realiable, in case the other fails). Another thing, only
Ubuntu updates the /etc/resolv.conf when it connects with wvdial. But
in some other distros, like Arch linux, you have to set the
nameservers separately. when you ping google.com, if you get an error
about "unknown host google.com", then add the two nameservers to your
/etc/resolv.conf.

Saad M Niamatullah