I'm trying to run the 32bit 10.10 UEC release in VirtualBox 3.2.8. To
do this, I first convert the image to VDI using:

  $ VBoxManage convertfromraw -format VDI maverick-server-uec-i386.img
maverick-server-uec-i386.vdi

In order for VirtualBox to use the floppy boot image, it must be
renamed to end .iso and set as the CD (not floppy) boot image:

  $ cp maverick-server-uec-i386-floppy maverick-server-uec-i386-floppy.iso

Additionally you must "Enable PAE/NX" under Settings -> System -> Processor.

On booting I am presented with the grub boot screen and choose
"uec-image with ubuntu:ubuntu" and after a while I see the messages:

  "Gave up waiting for root device."
  "ALERT! /dev/disk/by-label/uec-rootfs does not exist. Dropping to a shell!"

>From the shell I can see:

  (initramfs) find /dev/disk
  /dev/disk
  /dev/disk/by-path
  /dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:01.1-scsi-1:0:0:0

And ls -l shows that to be a symlink to ../../sr0, which is the cd
drive with the floppy boot iso image (/dev/sc0 -> sr0).

Grub doesn't seem to have a problem finding the disk:

  grub> search --label uec-rootfs
   hd0

So it seems to be a limitation of the floppy boot image is missing a
driver or something. The only issue I could find that looked vaguely
related was https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/635096

Any idea how I might build a floppy image that could be booted on VirtualBox?

Laurence