On 09/23/2012 04:50 PM, Dave Hein wrote:
> I'm trying to setup a cloud-config file to invoke a script that will run
> apt-get to update packages and install a few additional packages.
> Because the kernel can be updated by the 'apt-get upgrade', I want to
> reboot at the end to activate the new kernel.

Hello Dave,

Our best practice, in your case, is to modify the script that launches a
new instance to always make sure you boot from the latest image in the
suite you are running.  On an officially maintained cloud, our images
are updated as soon as a security update that mandates it is published,
or at least every two months.  This means that by launching the latest
image, you are quite unlikely to have a kernel update to be done.  This
also limits the number of updates that you will have to pull, over time,
for a given suite.

To do so on EC2, I would recommend using the query interface on
cloud-images.ubuntu.com [1].  Look at the file and URL, I think it is
self explanatory, but more explanations are available at [2].

[1] http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/query/precise/server/released.current.txt
[2]https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEC/Images#Machine_Consumable_Ubuntu_Cloud_Guest_images_Availability_Data

Hope this helps,
Nick