On Precise (12.04) ubuntu cloud image. When spun up on AWS, it seemed that
cloud-init (or other mysterious process) format ephemeral0 (or /dev/xvdb)
and mount it. I wasn't able to find anything in cloud-init.log that
indicate cloud-init did this.

I was able to disable/overwrite mounting from happen via:

#cloud-config
mounts:
 - [ ephemeral0, null ]

However I'm having a really hard time preventing auto partitioning from
happening. I've read that it's propose and backport to Precise to do just
that [2] and the configuration for it [1] is here:

fs_setup:
   - label: ephemeral0
     filesystem: 'ext3'
     device: 'ephemeral0'
     partition: 'none'
     overwrite: False

disk_setup:
   ephmeral0:
       type: 'mbr'
       layout: True
       overwrite: False

Anyone know how to prevent this from happening automatically on the Ubuntu
cloud-image?

[1]
https://github.com/number5/cloud-init/blob/master/doc/examples/cloud-config-disk-setup.txt
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/walinuxagent/+bug/1231490