Hi all,

We're about two days before the expected release of Karmic Alpha 1, so the
milestone "freeze" is now in effect.  Please take care that any packages
that you upload to main between now and the Alpha 1 release will help us in
the goal of a high quality and timely alpha, and hold any disruptive or
unnecessary uploads until after the alpha is out.

The list of blocking bugs for alpha-1 is currently empty, but during
image testing it is expected to get some:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/+bugs?field.milestone=2209

Last night's updates caused a lot of breakage unfortunately, despite
the early warning last Friday.  There's plenty of other work to be
done in getting the archive in a consistent state so that we don't
have uninstallable packages for the alpha-1 milestone:

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/PackageArchive#Consistency

Remember that this is a "soft" freeze, so you are each responsible for
making sure your uploads are appropriate - Launchpad will not be your
safety net.

Packages that are not seeded on the CDs (i.e., most packages in universe,
with the exception of UbuntuStudio, Xubuntu, and Mythbuntu packages) may be
uploaded as usual.

Thanks for your cooperation,

Martin Pitt
on behalf of the Ubuntu release team