Hey, you guys have a geek way of thinking I didn't expected to encounter
on an Ubuntu mailing list ! I'm not talking about five-year-old
children's ability to type in a password, nor of the need of their
parents to control them. I'm talking of making life easier to users who
want to use this feature. Let's them bring up their child as they want to !

For you, typing a password each time you log in isn't an issue. But I
believe using the console is not neither. For a "normal" end-user, this
is boring. Coming from Windows or OS X, it's, before people have got to
their desktop, a bad point for Ubuntu.

Moreover, this feature won't bring down security at all: you still need
to enter your password to use gksudo, or ssh... This is only an old
Unix-geek reflex putting down Windows about its lacks. But this is not a
lack, even Windows has many! Linux power is that you can enable almost
all features you want/need, while they are not dangerous.

You said users that want to log in without password must have to search
a little to set it up. This is what I've done at home. But this is not
possible for most of the people, those who need passwordless connexions!
I know this feature will be coded, if not now, within 5 years, because
this is really needed. The question is, do we want to discourage people
from switching to Linux, and do we want Ubuntu to be the best
distribution for home end-users?

I can't believe that this position is the one of the majority of the
team. This way, nothing would have been done at all on Ubuntu (compared
to Debian, which I love, for example).

Amicably,
Milan