Timo Jyrinki a écrit :
> <snip>
> So still, I argue that slocate should be _at least_ moved to
> cron.weekly, with the additional steps I'd hope for too:
>
> 1. move to cron.monthly instead of cron.weekly
> 2. switch from slocate to mlocate
> 3. remove mlocate/slocate dependency from Ubuntu default desktop
> installation (leave it on server installations)

That seems just common sense, but last time (not the first) I rose this
issue here, people preferred to keep Ubuntu geek-compliant. The argument
is (mainly) that it's an almost standard Unix tool, and that sometimes
normal users need help from admins that expect the tool to be here.

Though, I think the best is not to install it, because if it's installed
and not enabled/up-to-date it may be confusing. But when you type
'locate', our nice apt tells you to install package XXX, which will be
done in a few seconds, and a few minutes for updatedb to run (once for
all if you regularly administer this machine).

One day this wil change.. ;-)

Cheers