[ Could you please keep me in Cc:, I'm not subscribed to this list. ]

Hello,

I have recently noticed that the /usr/bin/ocamlrpcgen program coming
from libocamlnet-ocaml-bin package is broken in Ubuntu Gutsy (bug
#180364 [1]) while the same program from the same package version
(source package ocamlnet 2.2.7) works in Debian Etch[2].

Apparently, this ocamlrpcgen program is broken because its binary has
been stripped (see [1] for evidences). Stefano Zacchiroli, a Debian
Developer, suggested that ocamlrpcgen was wrongly stripped at package
building however it seems that this is not the case. More exactly, the
debian/rules for this package[3] contains the correct line:
  DEB_STRIP_EXCLUDE += usr/bin/ocamlrpcgen

More importantly, ocamlnet source package seems to be a direct import of
Debian and doesn't seem to be modified in Ubuntu.

So my question is: why is the /usr/bin/ocamlrpcgen program stripped on
Ubuntu and not on Debian?

Is there any Ubuntu specific rule that strips binaries afterwards? At
package installation? Any reason the DEB_STRIP_EXCLUDE rule is not
obeyed?

Many thanks for any help at this issue. I'm a bit lost and this bug is a
real showstopper for me.

Yours,
david

Footnotes:
[1]  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ocamlnet/+bug/180364

[2]  http://lists.debian.org/debian-ocaml-maint/2008/01/msg00061.html

[3]
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/o/ocamlnet/ocamlnet_2.2.7-1.diff.gz

--
GPG/PGP key: A3AD7A2A David MENTRE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 5996 CC46 4612 9CA4 3562  D7AC 6C67 9E96 A3AD 7A2A