Le vendredi 25 avril 2008 à 19:45 +0200, Gonz Hauser a écrit :
> My opinion is that it should be possible to provide a _default_
> configuration where jackd connects to pulseaudio (this is what
> module-jack-source is for, right?).
>
> Let me repeat my two concerns:
>
> 1. Ardour in Ubuntu Hardy doesn't work out of the box
> 2. It is not possible to use mplayer and ardour at the same time
>
> I believe it is possible manually fix this up but I have still the
> opinion that it should be possible to provide a simple default
> configuration.
> So please convince me that I'm wrong (and it isn't possible to have a
> working ardour on a notebook) or tell me how this can be resolved.
> You put so much hard work into ardour/jack/pulseaudio that it should not
>   fail because of a small configuration mistake.
>
> Thanks for your work/ideas/help,
I've been through both bugs and to me, as an occasional jack user, it
seems that the best would be that jackd defaults to the pulseaudio
output. Users that have better hardware and do more advanced stuff are
able to tweak what they need.

The current situation is bad for everybody: noobs have to configure
jackd, but advanced users configure it anyway.

What I don't understand is:
- whether the -n 3 option would work for every standard card or if some
absolutely require -n 2
- whether going though pulseaudio is really an issue concerning
performance (I mean, only for base users)

Since ardour requires jackd, the latter should configure itself
automatically so that ardour can start it flawlessly. But maybe this is
a little trickier that it seems - at least this was why pulseaudio was
introduced in Hardy.

Cheers