hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 05.03.2009, 16:02 -0500 schrieb Mackenzie Morgan:
> Ubuntu by default includes a Palm Pilot sync tool and an HP printer
> configuration tool.I'm wondering why we need vendor-specific tools like these
> in
> the default install.
even though they are vendor specific, they still are opensource and
usually provide features the other free tools dont for a specific HW.
while i agree that its better to make that functionallity work in the
more general tools one should also not forget that we support the effort
of these vendors to make and distribute opensource software by including
their tools ...

the proper way imho would be to talk to the OSS departments of the
vendors and convince them to contribute their code to the respective
projects and not just exclude them from having their tools distributed,
so they see the community honors their effort ...

ciao
        oli