On Wednesday 01 April 2009 3:34:06 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
> John Vivirito wrote:
>
> > On 03/31/2009 06:19 PM, Evan wrote:
> >> While apt, synaptic, update-manager, and gnome-app-install all do decent
> >> jobs of providing front-ends for package management, there are a few
> >> issues and common feature requests which bear taking a look at. This is a
> >> strawman, so feel free to rip it apart as necessary.
> >>
> >> PolicyKit
> >> Synaptic runs fully as root. Unless there is a specific reason not to,
> >> should it not be migrated to PolicyKit?
> >>

> > The reason they start up as root is because other than browsing the
> > packages is to install/remove and change repo settings. Most people that
> > browse packages will install at least one. I guess i don't get the idea.
>
> I guess I can't parse your first sentence.  One reason why I stopped ever
> using synaptic is _because_ it runs full time as root, and locks the apt
> database.  10 years ago Corel Linux had a version of kpackage that only did
> what it had to as root, and kept the database locked as little as possible.
> I spend at least twice as much time using package managers to browse, than
> to actually install.

KPackageKit is like that.

> >> Parallelism
> >> Starting the install process in parallel with the download process as
> >> soon as the first packages are finished downloading. (I got this idea
> >> from brainstorm, but I can no longer find the relevant idea.)
> >
> > By this you mean being able to browse packages while upgrade/install
> > packages? Than start download of the packages you choose to
> > upgrade/install?
>
> No, he means "install" some packages while others are still downloading.  I
> can see that being very advantageous to a dial-up user, but I wonder if it
> can even be possible.

If you download and install everything that has 0 dependencies first, then the
ones that depend on those things, and on up the tree, it could be doable.
Except for cyclical dependencies. For those, you'd need to get both downloaded
before running dpkg on them.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo