This is clearly a "not invented here" syndrome. please read wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_invented_here

I'm a software engineer, I personally tried both java and .net (I
don't like python very much because it's easy to get things out of
control)
I don't care where a technology is created, but what are the advantages
I prefer .net because it has more language expressiveness than java
(there are more constructs which can be used), and it runs faster (for
instance in linux eclipse is really 10x slower than windows), and it's
better integrated into gtk.

I'm waiting for a new version of java with all the .net features and
speed. In this case I would replace mono