Remco wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 7:53 PM, Derek Broughton<de...@pointerstop.ca>
> wrote:
>> Remco wrote:
>>
>>> We're still being a Microsoft technology user, which is what Mark
>>> Shuttleworth didn't want, and is the reason why Wine is not included
>>> in Ubuntu.
>>
>> It's not?  When did that happen?
>>
>> $ apt-cache policy wine
>> wine:
>> Installed: (none)
>> Candidate: 1.0.1-0ubuntu6
>> Version table:
>> 1.0.1-0ubuntu6 0
>> 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/universe Packages
>
> Oh, so now Ubuntu also comes with Windows Media, H.264 and DivX? You
> can find those in the repositories as well.

Where?  See, I demonstrated how exactly wine _is_ in Ubuntu, and you counter
by throwing out some vague concepts without a single package name.  Wine is
in _universe_.  That's an Ubuntu repository.  Windows media codecs have a
package that allows _you_ to download from an another source.  It's a pretty
huge distinction.

> Of course not. The repositories are not part of the default install,
> and should not be treated as such.

The "repositories" are part of a default install - they get added to your
default sources.  Things like wine aren't omitted from the CD for _policy_
reasons, they're omitted for _space_.
--
derek